Developers can now use Qt to target the N900 device and also ensures that applications can be easily ported to all Qt’s supported platforms including the next Maemo 6 release as well as Symbian and Windows Mobile. More information is available at: http://qt.nokia.com/developer/qt-for-maemo-developers.
Приглашаем вас принять участие во второй международной открытой конференции посвященной развитию MAEMO, платформы с открытым кодом для мобильных устройств, в основе которой лежит прогрммное обесечение с открытым исходным кодом. Конференция проводится с 23 по 25 марта 2010 года в городе Москва.
Конференция будет состоять из тренинга по MAEMO (а возможно, и по Qt – следите за новостями!) и собственно конференции с презентациями и лекциями ведущих экспертов и разработчиков. Если вы хотите выступить с докладом, зарегистрируйтесь на этой страничке или пришлите письмо с аннотацией вашего доклада на адрес info<at>fruct.org до 23 февраля.
Тренинг проводится на русском языке и нацелен на знакомство с инструментами и методами разработки приложений для платформы Maemo. Тренинг предназначен для всех, кто интересуется разработкой приложений для мобильных устройств. Участие в тренинге бесплатное, но необходима регистрация. Количество свободных мест ограничено.
Участникам тренинга желательно обладать следующими знаниями и навыками:
- Программирование на C;
- Базовые знания Linux (командная строка);
- Основы программирования графических интерфейсов пользователя.
Основные темы тренинга:
- Введение в Maemo. Платформа для мобильных устройств: специфика, ограничения
- Программное обеспечение с открытым исходным кодом: принципы, лицензии, методы разработки в сообществах разработчиков
- Обзор набора инструментов разработчика (SDK)
- Программирование графических интерфейсов пользователя: GTK+ и Hildon
- Интерфейс пользователя в мобильном устройстве
- Практический пример: первое Maemo-приложение. Меню и тулбар. Методы ввода в Maemo-устройстве
- Виждеты Hildon. Контейнеры и layouts
- Интеграция с платформой: telepathy, evalution-data-server, single-sign-in
- Программирование работы с сетью
- Система пакетов и распространения программного обеспечения в Debian
February 8-13, 2010
The school is for senior students who know C, C++ and development tools on Linux. The main purpose of the school is to give the conseption about Qt as a development tool for programming on platforms Maemo v5 and MeeGo.
Organizers: FRUCT, IT-park of Petrozavodsk State University, PetrSU department of Computer Science.
Lecturer: Krinkin Kirill, St. Petersburg State Electrotechnical University "LETI", Open Source & Linux Lab.
More details see here.
Приглашаем вас принять участие во второй международной открытой конференции посвященной развитию Maemo, платформы с открытым кодом для мобильных устройств. Конференция проводится 25 марта 2010 года в городе Москва, МГУ имени М.В. Ломоносова.
Конференция будет предворяться тренингом по Maemo, который будет проходить 23-24 марта.
Спонсоры и партнёры конференции
February 8-13, 2010
The school is for senior students who know C, C++ and development tools on Linux. The main purpose of the school is to give the conseption about Qt as a development tool for programming on platforms Maemo v5., v.6.
Organizers School: FRUCT, IT-park of Petrozavodsk State University, PetrSU department of Computer Science.
Lecturer: Krinkin Kirill, St. Petersburg State Electrotechnical University "LETI", Open Source & Linux Lab.
SSMS 2009 - SUMMER SCHOOL FOR MULTIMEDIA SEMANTICS
University of Koblenz, Germany
23-28 August 2009, Koblenz, Germany
Application deadline: 15 May 2009 (Friday)
Cost: The tuition fee for each student is 350 EUR.
16th International ECSE Summer School in Novel Computing
8-10 June 2009
Jean-Luc LeBrun: Scientific Writing Skills
Registration deadline: May 20, 2009
10-14 August 10-14 -- two parallel courses:
Douglas A. Reynolds (MIT Lincoln Lab): "Speaker and Language Recognition"
Paul De Bra (Eindhoven Univ Technology): "Platforms for Stories-Based Learning in Future Schools"
Early registration deadline: June 15, 2009
Summer School on Statistical Modeling and Machine Learning in Tampere
June 22-26, 2009
Application deadline: May 15, 2009
Registration fee is 150 EUR
The 18th International Summer School on Telecommunications
August 20-22, 2009
Trilogy Future Internet Summer School
August 24-28, 2009
3rd Russian Summer School in Information Retrieval
September 11-16, 2009
Call for Participation in the 3rd Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards Competition
Call to participate in the 3rd Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards Competition
September 30th – October 2nd, 2009, Tampere, Finland http://www.mindtrek.org/ubimedia
Competition deadline: August 7th
Award Sum: 7.000 Euros
The purpose of the competition is to encourage makers of digital media to generate ideas and develop new and innovative Ubimedia products & services. The entries are expected to take a stand on the following questions, for example:
How does ubiquitous computing affect media environments?
- What are intelligent media environments like?
- What will the location- and context-aware media services of the future be like?
A few other examples are:
- Pervasive and ubiquitous games
- Ambient installations
- Artistic works related to ubiquitous media and computation
- Business models
- Ambient and ubiquitous media technology
- Ubiquitous and ambient media services, devices, and environments
- Context aware, sensing, and interfaces for ubiquitous computation
- Ergonomics, human-computer interaction designs, and product prototypes
- Software, hardware and middleware framework demonstrations
- Ambient television
The total award sum for the Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Award is 7 000 Euros.
The sum can be awarded to one entry, divided between several entries or not awarded at all if the award criteria set by the jury are not fulfilled.
All Ubimedia, ubiquitous, pervasive, or ambient products or product and service concepts which have been finalized during the previous year after 1st January 2008 are eligible to take part in the competition.
Competition deadline is August 7th
How to participate?
Please check out the website http://mindtrek.org/ubimedia for entry forms and actual information.
In case of questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Rules of the Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards
The Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Award is a category of the 2009 MindTrek competition. The category is organized collaboratively by MindTrek, Tampere Region Centre of Expertise in Ubiquitous Computing, New Ambient Multimedia Group (NAMU)/Tampere University of Technology, the TAMK University of Applied Sciences, and Nokia. The award is funded by Nokia and the Tampere Region Centre of Expertise in Ubiquitous Computing.
2. Products qualifying for participation
All Ubimedia products or product and service concepts which have been finalized during the previous year after 1st January 2008 are eligible to take part in the competition.
An example of a suitable competition entry is a finished product, product pilot or demo. No drafts or mere ideas without relevant documentation will be accepted.
The competition rules do not place limitations on the technology used in the products.
The jury has the right to reject the participation of an entry if it does not fulfil the participation criteria. All jury decisions are final.
3. Entry Submissions
For completing a successful submission, the following information is required from your side:
- Filled application form;
- Video documenting the submission (approx. 3-5 minutes, also longer will be accepted);
- Documentation of the concept;
A demonstration, production, pilot, or demo is eligible to be submitted to the competition. Each entry should be in form of a video documenting the submission (approx. 3-5 minutes, however also longer videos will be accepted). The video should clearly indicate how the demonstration, production pilot, or demonstration works and relates to ubiquitous media.
In addition to the video, a short English-language based description of the concept should be attached to the competition entry in form of e.g. sketches, images, power points, word documents, or implementations. The description should present the key characteristics and benefits of the product or service in a concise and marketing-oriented manner.
In addition, also other materials supporting the jury in their decision (e.g. sketches, images, power points, word documents, implementations) can be attached to the competition entry.
However, the jury decision will primarily be based on the video submissions, and additional materials will be used in case of further questions. We welcome also links to project homepages, but the jury decision can only base the decision on submitted materials.
Registration for the competition ends on 7th August 2009 at 15:00 (+2 GMT).
If the competition entry is delivered to MindTrek via mail, it must arrive at the MindTrek Association’s office in three (3) copies no later than 7.8.2009 at 15:00 (+2 GMT). If the competition entry is implemented on the internet, its web address must be submitted to MindTrek when registering within the deadline. Late entries will not be accepted.
In addition to submitting the competition entry, participation requires registration using the registration form at the MindTrek website.
All submissions must be in English.
Originals sent to the competition will not be returned, so you should keep a copy for your own use. Post and packaging costs are the responsibility of the entrant.
The total award sum for the Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek competition category is EUR 7,000. The sum can be awarded to one entry, divided between several entries or not awarded at all if the award criteria set by the jury are not fulfilled.
6. Immaterial property rights
The immaterial property rights related to the competition works remain the property of the competitors. The entrants are responsible for ensuring that they have full copyrights to their competition entries and the right to use the works and their elements when participating in the competition.
The material submitted to the award programme remains the property of the author and may not be modified, changed in any way or used in whole or in part for the production of any other work.
7. Evaluation of the entries and the jury
The participating works will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Commercial potential
- Entertainment value and/or usefulness and/or artistic merit and creative implementation
- The usability of interactive and context-aware functions and functions utilizing ubiquitous computing in some other manner
- Feasibility (in terms of technology and production)
- Visual implementation and technical functionality
Nokia, Tampere Region Centre of Expertise in Ubiquitous Computing and MindTrek will jointly assemble the jury for this competition category. The jury will comprise at least one member from Nokia, one member from MindTrek and one member from Tampere Region Centre of Expertise in Ubiquitous Computing, and have a minimum of four members in all. In addition to the actual jury, MindTrek’s preliminary jury will take part in the evaluation if required, by carrying out a
8. Reference rights
MindTrek has the right to use the competition entries and a mention of the entrants as references in its marketing communications.
MindTrek, Nokia and Tampere Region Centre of Expertise in Ubiquitous Computing have the right to disseminate information about the competition arrangements, competition entries, the awarding of the winners and other details related to the competition in their marketing and advertising, e.g. on the web and in brochures and newsletters.
The submitted works may be used by MindTrek without any restrictions or written permission in all presentations, TV broadcasting, CD/DVD productions, CD/DVD compilations and advertisements (internet, CD- ROM, TV, print).
MindTrek has the unlimited right to use the submitted material for distribution on DVDs and other media, especially the right to distribute the video material to labels and broadcasting companies.
9. Announcement of the results and presentation of the awards
The results of the competition category will be announced and the awards presented at the MindTrek Awards Ceremony. The winners will be announced at Hotel Rosendahl on 1.10.2009 at the MindTrek Awards Ceremony. Later there will be the Awards Party to honor the winners of the competitions.
Award nominees will be notified in advance. The presence of the nominees at the MindTrek event in October is strongly recommended.
All nominees are invited to give a half day workshop around the ideas of their nominated project with the students and tutors at Demola, www.demola.fi 10. Compensation of the finalists’ travel and other expenses
MindTrek will pay travel and accommodation costs up to the sum of EUR 800 per team for a maximum of three invited finalists/teams flying from abroad in economy class. Any Finnish entrants among the finalists will not receive compensation for their travel costs.
However, MindTrek will pay for one conference ticket (includes entrance to the MindTrek Awards Party) and one entrance ticket to the MindTrek Awards Party for all finalist teams. MindTrek will not pay compensation for any other possible costs incurred by the entrants due to their participation in the competition.
Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards Competition ubiaward (AT) mindtrek.org Or in urgent matters the competition chairs:
Artur Lugmayr, artur.lugmayr (AT) tut.fi, Tel.: +358 40 821
0558 Cai Melakoski, cai.melakoski (AT) tamk.fi, Tel.: +358 50
555 6581 Kirsi Lindfors, kirsi.lindfors (AT) hermia.fi, Tel.:
+358 40 820 4608
Nokia Ubimedia MindTrek Awards Jury 2009
Head Of Jury:
- Bjoern Stockleben, RBB , DE
- Artur Lugmayr, NAMU group, Tampere Univ. of Technology
- Cai Melakoski, TAMK University of Applied
- Kirsi Lindfors, Hermia, FI
Jury Members (to be completed):
- Petros Belimpasakis, Nokia, FI
- Jonas Forth, Abo Academy, FI
- Glen Gebhard, LMU, US
- Michael Hausenblas, Johanneum Research, AT
- Andreas Holzinger, MBCS Head Research Unit HCI4MED, Medical University Graz (MUG), AT
- Juha Kaario, Nokia, FI
- Mirette Kangas, YLE New Media, FI
- Katri Lietsala Gemilo OY, FI
- Timo Ojala, Universit of Oulu, FI
- Daniel Salber, mackey.nl, NL
- Susanne Sperring, Abo Academy, FI
- Joelle Stemp, Yu Centrik, CA
- Riku Suomela, Nokia, FI
- Teija Vainio, TUT, FI
- Robert Wierzbicki, wierzbicki.org, DE
- Roger Zimmermann, National University of Singapore, SG
- Demola students
About the MindTrek Conference
MindTrek takes place at Hotel Scandic Rosendahl, in Tampere, Finland. The organizer of the conference has booked quota for the conference delegates from this hotel. Please, look for more information on accommodation and registration later from our website. Please note that the accommodation is not included in the participation fee. There is also other accommodation available in Tampere, ranging from modern first-class hotels to smaller traditional hotels and dormitories. If you select one of these options, you should make the reservations by yourself with that specific hotel.
MindTrek Conference in General Jukka Matikainen, +358 (0)40 5336 379, email@example.com
Degree programmes in Tampere University of Technology
Degree programmes in Helsinki University of Technology
Degree programmes in EVTEK University of Applied Sciences
PhD course on Innovative Technologies of ICT and Robotics offered by Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Italy
There are currently three Symbian books available free online, and more coming:
- One new book has been published as a free e-book - this is the book on Demand Paging, so it's most likely to be of interest to people doing work on Operating System principles or hardware. The e-book is a full .pdf image available for free, or you can even pay money to get it as a printed physical book. Please note that in order to use the link below you have to pass registration at developer.symbian.org, which is free of charge and takes only two minutes of your time. Here is the link to the book: http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/index.php/Demand_Paging_on_Symbian
- Also a couple of the Wiley books are now available online: Symbian OS Internals and Symbian OS Communications Programming. These aren't .pdf images of the book, but the full text has been dumped into wiki pages.
- More e-books are planned. For example, Ashlee's blog mentions a future book on Python that will be published as an e-book - this should be useful for introductory programming courses, etc.
- For all the online book-related material (e-books, wiki books, book lists, etc.) see http://developer.symbian.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Book